Legal Requirements

The normal legal requirements relating to marriage apply:

The official notice of intended marriage (NIM) must be given at least one month before the ceremony.

Two official witnesses must be present — anyone 18 years of age or older. Witnesses do not need to be Australian or reside in Australia.

I am required to sight your birth certificates or passports.  I must sight evidence of divorce (or death, if a widow or widower) if previously married.

You may not have 31 days between contacting me and the planned date of your ceremony. The ceremony may still be possible but prior, written approval of a ‘prescribed authority’ (usually the local Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages) for shortening of time must be obtained. The ‘prescribed authority’ charges a fee for this service and identification and a completed NIM and evidence of divorce must be produced.

Documents not in English must have a certified translation with them.

Visa and Immigration Information

A simple ceremony is an ideal service if you need a celebrant letter in connection with a prospective spouse visa or want to marry and enter under the spouse visa plan.

For visa purposes I will supply you with a letter confirming you have engaged me as your celebrant. A $100 part-payment of the fee applies with the balance on the day.  This can be done by email and we can meet closer to the ceremony.

It doesn’t matter if only one of you signs the NIM. The NIM is valid with one signature and your partner can sign later.